F4L.

Yesterday at work, a guy with a briefcase came up to me and introduced himself.

"Hi, I'm Jaime, and I'm your union representative."

He went on to tell me a few new things about benefits and health care and blah blah blah. He asked me how long I had worked at Food4Less, and I said almost two years. Then he smiled at me and said, "Ah, still a baby."

I told him it was just a job to get me through college. That I really had no intention of staying any more than three years. He then gave me that look (that one that an older person generally gives to a younger one, saying that they have more life experience) and said, "Yeah, that's what I thought too. Just a job to get me through college. Now look at me, twenty seven years later. I never thought this would turn into my career."

He didn't even seem sad or disappointed by that statement or anything. But as he walked away, I felt incredibly sad for him. This man went to college, probably pursuing his dream career and he ends up being a union representative. He started at Food4Less while in college and never left. What made me mad though is that he assumed I was like him. I will never be like him. I will do something with my life that I am proud of, and working at Food4Less is definitely not something I brag about. I will use the education that my parents are paying thousands for and I will turn it into a career that I like. I will not stay at a job that is comfortable, I will strive for something that brings me challenges daily. I am not like him.


I will NOT become a "lifer!" (as we call them at F4L.)

0 comments: