Going back.


I haven't told many people this yet, but I am planning another trip to Italy. There are many things that will have to fall into place to make it happen, but I am stubborn and I am a dreamer. Quite the combination for success, if you ask me.

I can't explain adequately in words how much my first trip to Italy last year changed my life. For the first time, I saw the world as bigger than my little corner of it. I did things I never thought I could do. I saw things more beautiful than anything I had ever experienced here. I met people who encouraged me, challenged me, and helped me along the way. I felt like a real adult, an independent adult.

I think once someone has had an experience such as that, it's impossible to go back to daily life without this yearning to escape sometimes. To hop on a plane and head back, with the hope of having gelato and meeting interesting Italian people. To be honest, I never cared about traveling because I never thought I could do it. I made excuses in my head about how it was too expensive, I wouldn't be able to go by myself, I wouldn't be able to get off work. I am so glad that when I expressed an interest in traveling to Italy, Bethany looked me in the eyes and said, "Why can't you do it? I'll go with you."

She is no liar. And because of that I had the most intense and exhilarating experience of my short life so far. I have to go back. I have to see Italy again. I have to go on 19 hour train ride to Sicily, I have to haul a 20 pound backpack on my back, I have to look for our hostel in the pouring rain in Venice.

I'm going back. I don't quite know how I am going to save the money yet. I am hoping our Etsy shop will take off and be super busy soon, but I don't know. All I know is that I am stubborn and I will find a way.

1 comments:

W said...

We will help you. I agree with you completely and encourage your travel aspirations. Nothing changes you like seeing new places & meeting new people. Besides, our fridge is unbalanced with just one magnet. ; )

GO, BOY, GO!!!